Pages

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Hooray for Hollywood

Since I occasionally post photos called "Memory Lane" I thought it would be fun to post some old Hollywood photos of my family. I have been blessed with a family rich in history in areas of film. And I find it much more interesting than any of the parties involved.They are all very nonchalant about it. But I want my kids to always remember how terrific their aunts and uncles were in their field of work as well as being such good people. So here are the first two....

Uncle Nick who was married to my Thia Mary ran the commissary at 20th Century Fox Studios.He was a sweet man who I used to love to talk to. Mary has so many great photos of him with famous people.I will never forget when he passed seeing so many well known movie stars at his funeral. He loved and adored Shirley Temple and took such good care of her while she was there taping. They became good friends and she was very fond of him all her life. Here are a few photos of them when she was little and then again when they were older.






And this is an absolute FAVORITE one of mine. Uncle Nick with Marilyn Monroe!



I still love to talk to Mary and hear stories of their life and friends.But she is just one part of the story.There is Uncle Angelo who has made incredible films and won Academy Awards,Uncle Pete who starred in Star Trek, Uncle Mike who ran the security department,and my own mom who typed scripts for years and met numerous stars.So I hope to share little snip-bits of this fun branch of our family tree!

7 comments:

Abigail said...

I love Shirley Temple! And I am so jealous!!
Thanks for sharing!!

Melanie said...

Dave showed us those photos when we were in TN at the store- so cool! My only neat family thing like that is that my great uncle (or something like that- he has been dead a long time) was the original voice of Donald Duck.

Anonymous said...

This was such a fun post, Sophia! I remember one of your uncles (maybe Angelo) had something important to do with that Will Smith movie about the golfer, I loved that movie. Your Uncle Nick looks like a movie star himself, maybe Ed Asner, or someone, I just can't quite put my finger on the name. Who is it? Anyway, now I know where your "actress" personality comes from...it's in your blood! Oh, and of course, your boys have that same genetic makeup and will, for sure, win on Wipe Out!

Anonymous said...

P.S. Wasn't Shirley Temple just the cutest little girl in the world!!

Sarah said...

I love Shirley Temple too. Just bought the DVD's at Costco! Sarah

Anonymous said...

Karen I had no idea! How fun! My mom used to get told she looked like Doris Day! :) The picture of Uncle Nick and Marilyn is priceless! (my favorite too!) No wonder you're practically soul sisters with Bonnie Hunt...you've got entertainment in your blood! (I've seen it first hand at Bunco, you crack me up constantly!!) Love the pics in Vegas too! Holly

Ashlyn Carter said...

Oh my goodness. Shirley Temple was, and is my favorite little actress! I never knew this! Such fun pics!