Pages

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Chico Sticks....

This week I attended a funeral for the father of one of my childhood friends. Jeanette and  I grew up together on the same street our whole lives and we share so many memories of our childhood and school. She was my maid of honor 29 years ago and has been one of my dearest friends as long as I can remember. Sadly her sweet dad Frank passed away.It was such a bitter sweet day  because he had been ill and you feel the relief of knowing they are no longer struggling along with the sadness of not being able to see them again on this side of life.He was married to Jeanette's mom for 62 years!  We recalled them dancing in the living room and her jumping up to greet him at the door when he got home from work. Our other childhood friend Renee came so the three of us girls were together again.
And that always means laughs ..............
Lots of them !!
There was so much joy in remembering funny stories, and we took lots of trips down memory lane. Jeanette's sister lovingly placed a king size Hershey bar in the casket with her Dad. She remembered on Saturday nights he would go to Thriftys and get one and they would each get a few squares. So I jokingly told Renee to bury me with a Chico Stick when I pass away.  It was my favorite candy growing up and they used to tease me like crazy about that.
So when she came to the chapel guess what she brought me ? 


It is hard to convey in words what it is like to be in the presence of such sweet, old friends. No matter how many years go by you automatically pick up right where you left off. No awkwardness or fear of not knowing what to say. You just feel at  HOME ! And I always walk away missing them already. I'm sad it was a funeral that brought us together again but was so thankful to be able to be with Jeanette and her family at a time she needed support and "laughter through tears" because we sure had plenty!


How would any of us cope with loss without the strong arms of love and support from family and good friends?
I feel so incredibly blessed to have both !
I am looking forward to another 30 years of friendship with these amazing girls, creating more memories and having lots more giggles

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much again for being there for me during this difficult time. I hope you know what a ray of sunshine you were to me!! Hard to express what it meant to me. I love you and I LOVED your blog!!! ...J